The Vast majority of the population all around the globe travel to Nepal for various purposes. Most commonly from our neighboring country India. The Department of immigration has specified the following documentary requirements needed for Indian nationals before entering Nepal.
Identity documents required for Indian citizen going to/coming from Nepal by Air:-
- Valid National passport.
- Photo Identity card issued by the Government of India/State Govt./UT Administration in India to their employees or Election ID card issued by Election Commission of India.
- Emergency Certificate issued by Embassy of India, Kathmandu.
- Identity Certificate issued by Embassy of India, Kathmandu.
- People in the age group of above 65 years and below 15 years would be exempted from the requirement of approved identity documents mentioned at no. 1, 2, 3 and 4. However, they must have some documents with photographs to confirm their age and identity such as PAN card, Driving license, Ration card etc.
- Children between the age group of 15 to 18 years may be allowed to travel between India and Nepal on the strength of the Identity certificate issued by the principal of the school in the prescribed format.
- In case of a family (family means husband wife, minor children and parents) traveling together, the approved identification document at no. 1,2,3 and 4 would not be insisted if one of the adult members of the family has in possession of one of the prescribed identification documents at no. 1,2,3 and 4. However, the other family members must have some proof of their identity with photographs and their relationship as a family like Ration card, Driving license, ID card issued by school/college etc.
- Aadhaar (UID) card is not an acceptable travel document for travel to Nepal.
- Certificate of Registration issued by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu, Nepal to Indian nationals is not an acceptable travel document for traveling between India and Nepal.
- The Emergency Certificate & Identity Certificate issued by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu will be valid for single journey for traveling back to India